Welcome to WildArk’s ‘One Thousand Words’, in which our favourite wildlife photographers answer questions about themselves with a single image. Wildlife photographers spend hours, months and even years in pursuit of the perfect shot. The unpredictability of nature means they must master the art of patience as well as have a thorough understanding of their subject matter. Study each image carefully to see the passion behind their craft as well as the uniqueness of each photographer’s perspective.
Gerry van der Walt is a specialist photographic safari guide, educator, public speaker and co-founder of Wild Eye. Combining his passion for nature photography with education through his photographic safari guide business, Gerry not only assists people in capturing the beauty of nature but also creates awareness of the fragile balance that exists in nature.
1. Describe yourself?
2. Where are you from?
3. What got you into photography?
4. What was the moment you knew you wanted to be a wildlife photographer?
5. Where do you wish you were right now?
6. What inspires you?
7. What is your favourite animal to photograph?
8. What makes the best photograph?
9. What is your ‘weapon’ of choice?
10. Describe your current mood
11. What moment in shooting wildlife has had the biggest impact on you?
12. What does the word ‘wild’ mean to you?